State pride on his sleeve: UK grad starts company, donates earnings

Former UK student and soccer player Beatty Lee London is living a dream that started 10 years ago. The UK alumnus recently put the finishing touches on his line of state polo shirts, designed for people to rep their university and to create scholarships.

Stolo —“state” and “polo” combined — are polo shirts with the shape of states stitched on the left side and the Stolo logo on the right sleeve. The shirts are available in different colors representing different schools, in states such as Kentucky, Georgia, New York, Texas and Florida.

London, the main creator of Stolo Inc., said the idea started 10 years when he was a graduate student living with his friend Renauld Davis, who eventually became his business partner with this idea.

“’When I become rich, I’ll have my own company and I’ll call it ‘Stolo,’ I used to tell my roommates,” London said. “Now, I didn’t become rich, but it was in 2009 that I started thinking seriously about it again and could finally make it happen.”

London and his partners Davis and Chase Feldman don’t just want to represent Kentucky in style, they also want to help academically, he said.

Each year, 10 percent of the profit from Stolo will be donated to the UK Alumni Fayette County Club Scholarship Fund, London said, who is also on the board of directors for the club.

“I played soccer here, I love UK. It’s an easy way for me to give back,” London said. “People helped me out. It feels good to be able to help somebody else.”

Annually the fund gives away an average of three scholarships to Fayette County School students, and this December will be the first time Stolo Inc. will  contribute to the fund.

Stolo Inc. promoted the shirts at a booth on Sept. 29 at Fitness 19 on Richmond Road, during its member appreciation party where Kenny “Sky” Walker was in appearance.

Walker, a former UK basketball star and retired New York Knick, wore his Stolo, gave autographs and took pictures with members and fans.

“I am looking forward to it, I think it’s going to be great,” Walker said about the clothing line.

London said he hopes Stolo will not only have a positive effect locally, but will also make change nationally. Stolo shirts are entirely produced in the U.S., attempting to create more jobs and opportunities at home, he said.

“Our economy is failing, so we have to take it in our own hands.” London said.

“I like the concept ‘made in America,’ it’s a good project to help bring some attention.” Walker said. “If I’m in New York, I’ll wear NY Stolo; if I’m in Kentucky, I’ll wear Kentucky. It’s nice to have options, you can rep your school or your state in different color schemes.”

Walker said in addition to the versatility Stolo provides for fans and students, he also likes the educational empowerment the company provides.

“I really like the fact that they will help create scholarships,” he said. “That’s very positive — creating opportunities for kids who are not as fortunate financially.”

London, who holds a business degree from UK, said he always wanted to be an entrepreneur.

“Follow your passion,” London said. “It’s so much more important in life, you want to enjoy what you do everyday.”

Stolos are currently available online at www.Stoloinc.com, and more info can also be found @StoloInc on Facebook and Twitter.