Law Day brings graduate schools to campus

By Sam Morrison

Undergraduate students will be exposed to an array of regional and national law school representatives Thursday at Law Day.

UK’s pre-law chapter of Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity International will hold the event from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the south lobby of White Hall Classroom Building. The event is co-sponsored by Kaplan.

“The event is designed for students, who are undergraduates now, who are thinking of going to law school,” said Drusilla Bakert, the associate dean for the College of Law. “Any student who is interested in law school should come by and talk to all the various schools that are there.”

Having the location in White Hall allows law school hopefuls who are passing by to take a few minutes and engage with representatives.

Students are encouraged to ask questions, pick up promotional material, look at admission statistics and get a feel for what law school could have in store for them.

“This year we have 24 confirmed schools from private to major universities coming to showcase their law programs,” Ahmon McCollum, the events chair for the fraternity, said. “Along with showing students what acceptance requirements are, it helps students open the door and venture a little further into the field of law.”

Kristina Satek, an international studies and classics senior, is the president of the fraternity and explained why Law Day is a good experience for pre-law students who are beginning to generate school lists.

“There are several schools that are coming from pretty far away,” she said. “Students might not have the opportunity to go to the schools and speak to representatives directly and get information.

“Instead of forcing students to figure out things for themselves it gives them an opportunity to see schools that maybe they would not have sought out on their own.”

Lisa Ruggiero, a communication major and English minor, expressed excitement for attending law school, even with the kinds of challenges presented when deciding where to apply.

“It’s a little overwhelming taking the next step into the future,” Ruggiero said, “but this opportunity to talk to representatives from different programs and different parts of the country will really be beneficial and help decide where I want to be in a year.”

Bakert said it is a big event for students in the pre-law group.

“It’s something they organize every year and we’re proud of the work they put into it; they do a really good job.”