Volleyball continues spring schedule in Louisville

By Nick Gray | @KyKernelGray

UK volleyball continues its spring schedule Saturday when it travels to Louisville for the KIVA Collegiate Tournament.

The Cats could play as many as three matches in the tournament, which could include a matchup against the hosting Cardinals, should each team reach the semifinals.

The sponsor of the tournament, KIVA, runs a club volleyball team named Team KIVA that featured senior Desiree Wilkerson, junior Jackie Napper and two-time All-American libero and graduating senior Stephanie Klefot.

UK head coach Craig Skinner said it is important to give back to the volleyball community.

“Our goal is trying to figure out what you have and have to do in the fall,” Skinner said. “But it’s also reaching out to the volleyball community. We have some players who used to play there and it’s a good opportunity to (reach out).”

No formal box score was kept last Saturday when UK and Illinois faced off in a spring game at Memorial Coliseum.

In a telephone conversation with the Kernel, Skinner touted the play of some of the younger, less experienced players during the Illinois contest.

Sophomore setter Morgan Bergeren, sophomore defensive specialist Kelsey Wolf and sophomore opposite hitter Shelby Workman all drew praise from Skinner.

Wolf and Workman, each of whom played little last fall as freshmen, will likely count last season as a redshirt.

The Cats’ first match in the upcoming weekend’s tournament will be on Saturday against Illinois State.