One Day for UK encourages community to participate in day of giving

Memorial Hall building mug

Akhira Umar

All die-hard UK fans with big, blue, bleeding hearts are being called to participate in One Day for UK, the university’s first giving day.

For 24 hours, from midnight on April 17 to 11:59 p.m., anyone and everyone can donate online toward various UK causes. There are 45 participating units for this giving day, ranging from Alumni Association to WUKY. Donors can even select other areas to donate to if their preferred recipient isn’t listed on the website.

Sarah Fitzgerald, associate director of annual giving, said this fundraiser differs from others the university has held because it will put on display just how much is being donated and where it’s being donated to.

The One Day for UK website includes a donor map and various donation incentives, making this fundraiser interactive and personal. Different units have different incentives, most promising extra donations to their cause when certain guidelines are met by donors. This system stresses why donors should take advantage of the 24-hour event.

“I think it’s just a great thing for everyone to know what UK does,” Fitzgerald said. “I think a lot of times people who are familiar with one area don’t know they can give to another area, and the UK experience is so vast. This 45 units, and funds, and causes are just a small component of what is under the UK umbrella and what makes up UK.”

From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on that same day, there will be a campus celebration held in the student center to involve the campus community in the event. There will be various educational booths and engagements zones. Students will also get to vote for their favorite cause. The cause that receives the most votes will win a $500 donation.