SAB’s Stuff-a-Plush makes for welcome break for UK students

UK students pick up their stuffing and animal toys at SAB’s annual Stuff-a-Plush event on Thursday, Feb. 27, 2020, in the White Hall classroom building. Photo by Gillian Stawiszynski.

Gillian Stawiszynski

The Student Activities Board held the perfect event for midterm de-stressing last week.

On Thursday, Feb 27, SAB once again hosted their highly enjoyed Stuff-a-Plush event inside the White Hall Classroom building. In between classes, students were able to take a quick break from studying to build a stuffed animal of their choice. 

Dozens of students stopped by White Hall within the first hour of the event taking place. The classroom building’s hallways were filled with many students waiting in line and others creating their stuffed animals. 

Abby Collins, a junior biology major, took a break from her day of classes to build her own stuffed lamb alongside her friends. It was also not the first time she has been to this event. 

“I love it. It’s very de-stressing. It was a big stress-reliever,” Collins said. 

SAB regularly hosts on-campus events intended to give students a breather from studying or running between classes.

Organizers from the student-run organization were hard at work and busy at this event. This includes Deja Hodgens, a senior health promotion major with a Spanish minor. Hodgens is SAB’s vice president of internal affairs.

This is her fourth time working on Stuff-a-Plush with SAB.

Hodgens said that a lot of effort goes into creating events like this. SAB’s members must work on planning the location, date, time and vendor decisions way ahead of time. 

“We planned this event last semester,” Hodgens said. “It’s an event that students always come out to.” 

The SAB knows students need a low-stress event around the time of finals and midterms, and this specific one has been successful for a few years. 

“It’s a good thing to offer to students during their school day,” Hodgens said. 

The next SAB-hosted event will be Massage on The Go on March 4 from 1 to 4 p.m. in the Gatton Student Center Ballroom, where students will be able to get a free five minute massage.

After that, the organization will put on the sold-out YoutubeU event featuring internet personality David Dobrik.