UK says it will cooperate with police after lawsuit alleges former coach sexually assaulted swimmers

UK head coach Lars Jorgensen hugs signee Madison Winstead after she swam the 100m breaststroke during the UK’s “Sun Shall Shine” Blue and White meet at Lancaster Aquatic Center in , Ky. on Friday, April 22, 2016. Photo by Michael Reaves | Staff.

The University of Kentucky responded to a sexual assault lawsuit filed by two former swimmers, saying the they will cooperate fully with law enforcement who they have contacted. 

“No one should be subject to the kind of abuse described in the civil lawsuit filed Friday,” the university said in a statement released on Wednesday. “Our top priority is the health and safety of our students and employees. We have no tolerance for harm, harassment or abuse.” 

The suit claimed that Kentucky swim and dive’s former head coach Lars Jorgensen was accused of sexual violence and harassment by former members of the University of Kentucky team, per a report from the Athletic. 

The suit alleges Kentucky concealed knowledge and credible reports from the University of Toledo assistant coach Mark Howard that Jorgensen “was a sexual predator” and was still hired as an assistant in 2012 and received numerous allegations from various sources during his 10-year tenure as a head coach.

Jorgensen resigned in June of 2023 due to the allegations, along with a $75,000 settlement.