3-Point Shot: Ole Miss preview

By Josh Ellis

“I didn’t expect (Moody) to go off like he did. This year I would say we’d be more prepared,” UK forward Derek Willis said. “I know he’s going to come in the building and try to do what he did last year again.”

Camp Cal effect

Head coach John Calipari said the team is finishing up his annual “Camp Cal,” which Calipari said “was going great.” Camp Cal usually consists of three practices a day and includes ample conditioning and individual work that begins in December. Calipari said the team only practiced twice on Friday and will start back up on Sunday and Monday.

“I mean, I like it. I might be the only guy in the gym that likes it,” Calipari said. “You have time. Like, one of the sessions we’re shooting free throws 10 at a time, trying to have 20 different times the team has to make 10 in a row as a group. When we do we’re done, and then the guys who didn’t make 10 in a row have to stay until they do. We can go over situations better. We can zero in on an offense and just get better at that. You can really work on fundamentals. You have time. You start doing three sessions a day, it’s, you know. It would be like having three-and-a-half-hour practices, and it’s just not something I’m comfortable with when they’ve got classes and all the things they’ve got going on when you’re in school. But they’re not in school right now, and I’m telling them, ‘You’re sleeping, you’re eating – after you play basketball you’re doing those things.’ And that’s what we get down to. Now I don’t know what will happen in this game. Maybe I wore them out. We’ll see. But it’s been really productive. Individual players are getting better, and our team has a better idea of how we’re trying to play.”

Keep an eye on UK’s level of physicality against the Rebels, as the team could look tired and fatigued from Camp Cal or energized and more focused at the task at hand.

Dominique Hawkins playing time

The junior guard had one of the best games of his career against in-state rival Louisville last week, scoring a career high 13 points. And Hawkins’ teammates know he’s capable of having games like the UofL game, saying he’s been just as good – if not better – in practice.

“I remember I came out of the game and I know Dom, I think he was sitting near me. I just bumped him,” Willis said. “I was like, ‘Dude, you’re playing crazy good right now. You’re knocking down your shots, playing good defense.’ And he’s playing even better in practice, honestly. He’s shooting lights out and he’s doing good ever since his little hand injury. I’m happy for him.”

Hawkins is one of the few upperclassmen who have experienced the heightened level of intensity in SEC conference games, and could give Calipari a viable option off the bench in the near future.