Taylor Swift returns to Rupp Arena for ‘1989’ World Tour

By Samantha Angel

Seven-time Grammy award-winner Taylor Swift will bring her 1989 World Tour to Rupp Arena on Tuesday, Oct. 20 at 7:30 p.m.

Her latest album, “1989,” was released on Oct. 27, 2014. It debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 and sold over one million copies within the first week of its release.

Swift, Billboard Magazine’s 2014 Woman of the Year, will return to Lexington for the first time since 2013. The tour began on May 5 and will end on Dec. 12.

“I went to the concert (in Indianapolis last month) liking her but I left being her biggest fan,” said Brittany Mills, a kinesiology junior who said it was unlike any other concert because of the experience. “We all got wrist bands that lit up with her music and it made me feel like I was a part of something.”

Swift brought The Band Perry as special guests to the Indianapolis concert, who she said were family and strong supporters of her country roots. They all sang “If I Die Young” together.

Rachel Kendig, a civil engineering junior, said she is most looking forward to seeing who joins Swift on stage.

“It will probably be some of the Backstreet Boys, because they’re from Lexington,” said Kendig, who said if she could pick anyone, it would be Adam Levine.

This past Valentine’s Day, Kendig surprised her best friend and roommate, biology senior Kaitlyn Senay, with tickets to the concert.

“We were both single at the time, so I wanted to do something cute,” Kendig said.

Senay said it would cover her birthday and Christmas presents as well, but it would definitely worth it. Both Kendig and Senay have bought new outfits and red lipstick to wear to the concert to tie into Swift’s signature ‘red lips and rosy cheeks’ look.

Leslie Pedigo, assistant director for Leadership Education, is going to the concert with her friend and former UK employee, Shauna Prentice. This will be Pedigo’s first Taylor Swift concert.

“I’m most looking forward to her production … I know she’s super energetic so I’m most looking forward to the performance aspect,” Pedigo said. “One of my favorite songs, even before it was all over the radio, is ‘Style.’ Also, I’m sure she won’t play it because it’s on the deluxe version, but ‘Wonderland’ is truly my favorite song on the whole album.”

Despite the fact that Tuesday’s show is part of the ‘1989’ tour, Pedigo said she hopes Swift will play some of her old songs, too.

“I love ‘Should’ve Said No,’” Pedigo said. “I did some karaoke to (that) in college, and ‘All Too Well’ from her ‘Red’ album.”

Pedigo said she is too old to make signs or shirts for the show, but they plan to wear their cowboy boots and go out for dinner before the show.

According to the Rupp Arena box office, more than 15,000 tickets have been sold for the show and less than 1,000 remain available to be purchased on Ticketmaster.