Don’t put away palazzo pants just yet

“You’re hot then you’re cold.” Was that Katy Perry singing to a mercurial boyfriend or a description of Kentucky’s weather patterns?

The temperature fluctuates more than some people change their hair color. If you’re like me, you’re stuck with all these amazing clothes you bought over the long and sweltering summer, thinking it was going to be warm forever. Well, we were wrong, and now we’ve got to face the music. Never fear, the power to transition from your summer wardrobe into a fall wardrobe is here!

I found a multitude of palazzo pants in my closest thanks to Coachella and Selena Gomez. Wide-legged, loose and comfortable, they were the perfect partner to crop tops and shimmery tanks this summer. I wasn’t ready to give them up, and now that the weather is a little less forgiving, I have had to find ways to innovate. So, dig out your jackets, cardigans and sweaters because they’re the tools you’ll need to transition this popular pair of pantaloons into ready-wear for fall!

Palazzo pants are great because they are easily styled with just about anything in your closet. And there are several different ways to wear them. For just a regular day on campus, you can pair them with a graphic T-shirt that shows your own personal cool. Have a date night with the girls? Grab a belt, cinch that waist and throw on a blazer. Instantaneous showstopper.

And what about football game days? It’s harder to walk out in only cowboy boots and a romper when it’s going to be 50 degrees out. Don’t sacrifice your fashion for someone as fickle as Mother Nature. A pair of high-waisted blue palazzo pants with a cropped white sweater is the perfect game day attire. Add a piece of statement jewelry, cause those aren’t leaving anytime soon

Solid colored pants are better for transition because it leaves more room for creativity. If you do happen to own a pair of tribal printed palazzos, try paring them with an oversized thin sweater and a plain scarf. If lace is your forte, match a lacey long-sleeved top with a pair of tan palazzos that just screams autumn. There’s no particular color scheme you need to follow. White and cream are still acceptable because the soft lines and silky material of most palazzos give them dimension.

Several stores sell palazzo pants year round, so they are always easy to find. My personal favorites are Forever 21, H&M and Charlotte Russe. Just remember three key things when styling your outfits this fall: if it drapes cinch the waist for shape, avoid mixing bold patterns and always accessorize. Try to save yourself a little cash this season and incorporate palazzo pants into your fall wardrobe. Happy shopping!

Aspen Gage is an integrated strategic communications freshman.