Don’t fret about pools closing for the season, there’s plenty to do in the fall

Vocal performance senior Amanda Maddox and UK Alum Dave Dervis Smith sit on their car and eat pizza in the Arboretum parking lot on Monday, September 28, 2009. Photo by Zach Brake

By Sarah Brookbank

With Labor Day upon us pools across the nation will be closing. Good news though, Lexington has plenty of other awesome things to do.

Sky Zone Trampoline Park

At Sky Zone, you can jump around on dozens of trampolines, and on occasion play in a trampoline-enhanced dodge ball tournament. To get in, go to their website and fill out the waiver and schedule a time. 30 minutes is $10 and 60 minutes is $14. While it sounds like a great way to break a leg, flipping into a foam ball pit might be worth it. Here’s their website

UK’s Art Museum

The Art Museum at UK changes exhibits frequently enough that you can go more than once a semester. Located conveniently in Singeltary Center. The museum features photography, paintings, prints and sculptures. Admission is free and the museum is closed on Mondays.

The Arboretum

The Arboretum is easily accessible once again now that Alumni Drive is open. The Arboretum is a quiet place for picnics, running and walking, bringing your dog or stargazing, and admission and parking are free.

Malibu Jacks

Malibu Jacks is a step up from your standard ‘family fun center.’ They have mini golf, lazer tag, an arcade and Go-Karts. According to their website, the two- floor lazer tag arena can fit 24 of you and your friends, or you can do battle with the teenagers who are certainly hanging around. Prices for activities range from $6 to $8.

Jacobson Park

This park is a bit out of the way, but provides plenty of amenities for the outdoorsy type. There are basketball and volleyball courts, a disc golf course, playgrounds, a dog park and fishing and pedal-boat rentals.

KY Horse Park or Old Friends

The Horse Park and Old Friends are two places in the greater-Lexington area where you can get up close and personal with Kentucky’s favorite animal — the horse.

The Horse Park offers camping and horse-related events, general admission is $16 and includes museum tours. For $10 Old Friends lets you meet some of the most famous retired horses in racing and provides a guided tour of the farm.

Kentucky Theater

This Lexington staple sits on Main Street and shows limited-release movies you can’t find at a megaplex as well as live performances. You can watch Sundance and Academy contenders at the Kentucky Theater with a beer or go in on a night they’re showing throwback movies like Shrek, The Sound of Music or The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. And on the last Saturday of the month, when the clock strikes midnight, you can join Lexington’s weirdest for Rocky Horror Picture Show. Check out what they’re showing here

Football games

Tailgating and football are back for the fall and with one win and a new alcohol policy, being a fan of Big Blue has never been better. As fall draws closer, grab a blanket and $5 student ticket for a piece of the action.

Keeneland and Red Mile

Getting dressed up and losing money on horses is only a 15 minutes drive and $5 for general admission. Keeneland will open its doors for Fall Meets on October 2-24 and is a UK favorite. Red Mile is another betting option, which is closer to campus and requires less work when getting dressed. Races at Red Mile are going on now and with a new facility, will provide electronic betting.