Beggs throws a gem to clinch series for UK

By Derek Terry

With the chance to win the series over Tennessee, UK’s pitching staff delivered a gem for the second straight night.

Junior starting pitcher Dustin Beggs worked eight innings of one-run baseball and freshman Zach Logue shut the door in the ninth to complete the 3-1 win for the Cats.

It was the second consecutive start that Beggs was able to pitch eight innings and earn the win, running his season record to 5-2.

First pitch strikes were the key to Beggs’ performance.

“It’s something that (UK head coach Gary) Henderson focuses on all the time,” Beggs said. “Just make sure you get ahead in the count. First pitch strikes are something that he preaches to all of the pitchers. I was just trying to get ahead because it helps the off-speed stuff as well.”

Beggs struck out eight batters and only allowed three hits through his first eight innings. He started the ninth inning in an attempt to get the complete game shutout, but a leadoff double from Tennessee outfielder Christin Stewart and a single from Andrew Lee chased him from the game.  Logue came on to face Tennessee junior catcher David Houser and got him to ground into a double play, scoring Stewart from third. It was the first run UK surrendered in 17.2 innings of the series.

Logue got the next batter to ground out to first to end the game.

Despite the outstanding performance, Beggs wished he could’ve made it through the last inning.

“I was a little disappointed at the end,” Beggs said. “I wanted to get it done and finish the game. I haven’t had a complete game since I’ve been here, but I’m glad Logue got to come in. He did a good job shutting the door on them.”

Kyle Barrett and Evan White led the Cats at the plate for the second straight night. Both players went 2-for-4 with a run scored and White provided an RBI in the bottom of the third inning that scored Barrett. Ka’ai Tom drove in the other two runs for the Cats.

Henderson had high praise for White after the game.

“Evan is doing a really nice job of using the entire field,” Henderson said. “He’s a good hitter. He’s just getting better. He’s another guy that continues to improve.”

UK will have a chance to get its first SEC sweep of the season tomorrow. Junior right-hander Kyle Cody has been the typical third man in the rotation this season, but the Cats will turn to senior Andrew Nelson instead. Nelson started 10 games in 2014 for the Cats and started earlier in the week against Western Kentucky. He allowed one run in three innings against the Hilltoppers.

First pitch is set for noon.