Anti-violence rally to start on campus

By Elena Vaughan

Tuesday marks the annual Take Back the Night march and rally in Lexington, in which members of the community to take a stand against interpersonal violence. The march starts from two different locations that will both lead to the rally. One departs from UK’s Patterson Office Tower at 7 p.m. and one from Gratz Park. At 7:30, both marches will meet at the Courthouse Plaza in downtown Lexington, where the rally will begin.

Following the rally there will be a speak-out segment, performances by local music groups and a candlelight vigil, according to the event website. About 300 people are expected to attend, including students, adults and children.

“I want people to go away knowing that if everyone makes a difference we can change the Lexington community,” last year’s coordinator and UK alum Gretchen Gruenberg said in the Kernel’s coverage of Take Back the Night from 2012.

Take Back the Night has been a part of the Lexington community since the 1970s. For more than 30 years, college students and adults alike have come together to speak out and stand up against interpersonal violence, which includes both sexual and domestic violence, in the community. The University of Kentucky and the Violence Intervention and Prevention Center put on the event every year.