MLK Fair celebrates diversity, hope

Junior business management major Dominic Murphy holds a sign as participants in a silent march in memory of Martin Luther King Jr. walk by outside the student center in Lexington, Ky., on Sunday January 19, 2014. Photo by Emily Wuetcher

By Matthew Wickstrom

Students from a variety of campus organizations will participate in a fair celebrating the life and vision of Martin Luther King Jr. on Friday in the Student Center Small Ballroom.

The MLK Diversity Fair, organized by the Martin Luther King Center, will run from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

A total of 17 clubs and organizations will take part in the fair, said Rosalyn Robinson, assistant director of the MLK Center, including the Black and Latino Student Unions, the International Book Project, various fraternities and sororities and the Ronald McDonald House.

Robinson said the diverse set of ethnicities and cultures at the fair pay tribute to King’s dream of equality for all.

“Martin Luther King’s dream was for peace and equality, not just amongst blacks and whites, but rather for peace between people of all cultures and ethnicities,” Robinson said.

Students who attend the fair can expect to get information on the various clubs and take part in their activities.

King’s legacy is meaningful to people for many different reasons. For merchandising, apparel and textile senior Mikal Moore, King’s legacy was not just about race.

“What Martin Luther King did for African American rights is something very personal to me, but (what) I take away from his life is a symbol of fighting for what you believe in, and not giving in to anyone or anything,” Moore said.

Accounting junior Garrett English said King’s story makes him feel hopeful for the future.

“Dr. King helped to empower and open up doors for generations of African Americans who had been given no hope their entire lives,” English said. “Everything he accomplished gives me hope and confidence that I can succeed at anything I set my mind to as well.”