Mayoral debate coming to campus: Gray, Beatty will answer questions submitted by students

By Nick Gray

WUKY-FM news director Alan Lytle watched the results of the May mayoral primary on television and an idea crossed his mind — holding a mayoral debate on campus with questions coming straight from UK students and the citizens of Lexington.

When Lytle asked his staff, made up mostly of UK students, the idea was hatched. After a month of negotiations with the campaigns of incumbent mayor Jim Gray and candidate Anthany Beatty, the debate was sealed.

Gray and Beatty will take part in their last mayoral debate before Election Day — and the only debate on UK’s campus — at 7 p.m. on Tuesday at the Worsham Theater inside the Student Center.

The unique part of the debate is the source of questioning, Lytle said. WUKY has asked people via social media, including on Facebook, to post the questions that they want to ask the candidates. From there, WUKY staff selected a group of questions among wide-ranging topics that will be asked during the debate. People who attend the event on Tuesday will have the chance to ask questions during a live Q&A portion.

“It’s a unique way of doing things, and it’s something we have not done before,” Lytle said. “This race is a very important race that people here really care about.”

Beatty and Gray each could not be reached for comment.

Lytle said main topics include the university’s relationship with the city, public safety following a summer rash of murders in the city, homelessness and community development.

“Students are especially concerned about what happens after they get out of (school),” Lytle said. “I thought the questions that have already been entered have been excellent and very wide-ranging.”

Lytle credited WUKY, the Citizen Kentucky Project, the Gaines Center for the Humanities and the UK Student Government Association with producing the logistics and overall organization of the debate.

A victory by Gray would give the incumbent a second term for the first time in more than a decade, while Beatty would be Lexington’s first black mayor.

The debate will be simulcast by WUKY and WRFL-FM on Tuesday.