Four UK football players charged with second-degree disorderly conduct

By Anne Halliwell

Four UK football players, Dorian Baker, Drew Barker, Tymere Dubose and Stanley Williams, were charged with second-degree disorderly conduct, according to Fayette County District Court documents.

The charge is a Class B misdemeanor, with a punishment of up to 90 days in jail, according to the Kentucky Penal Code.

The four freshmen admitted on Wednesday to being part of a game of “man hunt” which is played by chasing and shooting at one another with BB guns, according to the documents.

The student-athletes have been suspended from Saturday’s game against South Carolina and will face further disciplinary action, UK Athletics and coach Mark Stoops announced Monday.

The district court’s criminal complaint summons noted that at about 9:30 p.m. Sunday, the UK Police Department was notified by two callers of seeing a group of six to eight males in the area of the Kirwan IV dormitory on Woodland Glen Avenue and hearing gunshots. After searching the area, the UK and Lexington Police Departments located two witnesses, one of whom said he saw a firearm in one subject’s hand and heard one to three shots, according to the documents.

The other witness told police that she saw the subjects split into two groups, one of which ran toward Woodland Avenue and Hilltop Drive. The other headed toward Baldwin Hall on Sports Center Drive, according to the complaint summons.

Dubose admitted to firing his BB gun in the air after leaving his dorm to see if it worked. He added that he saw a “frat guy” run away and said the group decided to split into two separate groups, according to court documents.

After hearing that the police were responding to the reports of shots fired, Barker and Dubose left their BB guns under a tree in a field area at University and Complex Drives. Williams said after receiving the call that the police were investigating the area, he discarded his BB gun in a trash dumpster and continued to his residence hall, according to another complaint summons. Baker told the court he never fired his BB gun, as it was broken, and left it near a construction site at the rear of Baldwin Hall.

After viewing the security camera stills released to the public, the players told the district court they all decided to come forward Monday and admit they were the subjects involved and that the guns involved were not real firearms, according to the documents.

The players admitted that the group’s actions had created a “hazardous situation that served no legitimate purpose,” the complaint summons read.

The players will appear in Fayette County District Court on Oct. 28.

Once the investigation is finished, UK Chief of Police Joe Monroe said Monday, the evidence will be turned over to the Office of Student Affairs to determine whether a violation of the student code of conduct took place.