Willis reflects on BBM weekend

By Derek Willis | @Derek_Willis33
sports@kykernel.com

Big Blue Madness was an awesome experience for this year. I finally got a chance to meet the Harrison twins and James Young, who were cool and seemed like we all had the same goal to get another championship.

Other than meeting the new commitments, I had a chance to hang out with Marcus Lee, who at the time was not committed.

Lee has the same build as me and was another person I enjoyed meeting on my visit.

Starting off when I arrived, all of the recruits had got on a bus and we were shuttled to Keeneland. Throughout this day I would try and tweet about where we would be publicly so the new commitments could get the full experience of what it is to be committed to a great program like UK.

The Harrison twins had no problem with fans recognizing them and they drew a lot of attention wherever we went. I hope that they understand how much worse it will get, but they are very humble as well as James Young and Marcus Lee.

After Keeneland, we went back to the Craft Center and watched practice. Then we went back to the hotel and started to get prepared for BBM.

Madness itself has a concert-type atmosphere and I could not compare it to anything else. It was the most fun I have had in awhile.

Everything from head coach Calipari’s introduction, to the players being announced, was on point and everything ran smoothly.

Summing everything up, I had an awesome weekend at UK.

If you couldn’t make it out to Madness this year, I hope you can come when the 2013 class is there because it will be the most memorable Madness yet.

Al says:

Dude, you are humble too. These new recruits are taking the spotlight right now and leaving you in the dark, but you are acting maturely about it. Plus, you are glad for them. What a teammate!By acting this way your are already National Champs to me. Can’t wait to hear more about you in the months to come. Have a great senior year, Derek !

PW says:

Thanks for the comments Mr. Willis, UK fans are excited to see you suit it up for the Big Blue in the near future!