Phi Mu moves into new house

By Kayla Pickrell

Phi Mu sorority moved into its house Aug. 4, in Sigma Nu’s old residence.

Twenty-three sisters live in a newly carpeted and Pottery Barn-furnished house, Phi Mu President Hannah Brown said.

“We did some work on the house, but not too much because it is only temporary,” she said.

The UK Phi Mu chapter started in Fall 2011, recruiting out of the Student Center and other Greek houses.

“It was awesome for us to recruit out of our own house during recruitment,” Brown said. “Meeting in the

Student Center wasn’t bad, but it’s nice to have our own place.”

To obtain the house, Phi Mu headquarters in Peachtree City, Ga., spoke with Sigma Nu’s headquarters to work out a leasing system.

Sigma Nu was suspended last school year, giving Phi Mu the ability to lease the house for the time being.

“It’s been a couple years since all sororities have had a house on campus,” Jessica Usery, UK Panhellenic Council president, said. “With Alpha Phi and Phi Mu having houses this year, now all 13 sororities are on campus.”

Although Phi Mu is leasing the Sigma Nu house, it is breaking ground on a permanent house this fall, which is scheduled to be finished in January 2014.

The new house will be built on Rose Lane.

“The sisters are extremely excited about it,” Brown said, “but the older girls are sad they won’t be able to live in it.”

With the growth in Greek interest, Usery said the Greeks are expanding both in construction and population.

“Our numbers this year at recruiment were higher than it’s ever been,” she said.