UK men’s tennis defeats IU 4-0 to move to Sweet 16

By Holly Brucken

UK Men’s team defeated Indiana Saturday at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex, advancing to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen for the third year in a row.

UK scored the doubles point by winning two close matches. The team went on to win three singles matches, beating the Hoosiers 4-0.

“I thought we came out and played our best doubles point of the year,” said UK head coach Dennis Emery. “I thought that really set the tone of the match.”

After losing the first set, UK’s sophomore Tom Jomby made a comeback to defeat IU’s Stephen Vogel, scoring 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Sophomore Grant Roberts defeated Dimitrije Tasic 6-4, 6-3, claiming another win for the Cats.

“I thought we played with a lot more effort, I thought we were playing a better team and that made it tougher,” Emery said, comparing this match with Friday’s 4-0 win against Radford.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better way to go out,” said Senior Eric Quigley (No.3) of his last home match at UK. “I’m really happy and proud of the whole team.”

Quigley, the SEC Player of the Year, was the first r to finish a singles match. He beat Isade Juneau 6-1, 6-0, in a quick 45 minute match. This put his season record at 24-2 and his career record at 167-45.

“He’s probably one of the most productive players we’ve ever had,” Emery said of Quigley. “There’s no way you can describe what he’s done for our program. You know, we had a good culture, but now we have a championship culture.”

The remainder of the NCAA tournament matches will be played in Athens, Ga. UK’s next match is scheduled for May 18.

“It means a lot- Sweet Sixteen in the NCAA is not easy, and to do it three years in a row is pretty impressive,” Quigley said.