Steele’s Reels: Snape snubbed

By Dave Steele

It’s February. Football had its chance to shine with the Super Bowl (and shine it did …. NOT).

Now it’s the Academy’s turn.

It’s nice to know that there is another kind of “Super Bowl” that follows a juggernaut industry a few weeks later. After all, $10,196,420,077 in total ticket sales for 2011 is proof that even when the economy is down, movie sales just keep on rolling.

Personally, I love the Oscars. The corny routines, the acceptance speech gaffes and let’s not forget Leo’s “I just lost again but I’m gonna be the first one to clap” face.

But enough about what I like about it, the Academy has put together a great list of nominees in all categories.

This year has a fantastic line up for best picture with “The Artist,” “The Descendants,” “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close,” “The Help,” “Hugo,” “Midnight in Paris,” “Moneyball,” “The Tree of Life” and “War Horse.”

However, lurking within these great choices is, in my opinion, one of the greatest Oscar snubs of all time.

Alan Rickman’s lack of credit for one of the most iconic roles of our generation is appalling. He IS Snape in the Harry Potter series.

The next time you see a trailer for whatever his next role is going to be you’re not gonna say “Hey look it’s Alan Rickman” you’re gonna say, “What up Snape!”

Aging the same time as the three main characters has been a truly unique experience for me and for those my age, and Rickman’s role in the Harry Potter series was tremendous.

Just because a movie is a multimillion-dollar blockbuster doesn’t automatically mean the talent should go unnoticed.

I am not exaggerating when I say this is the biggest Oscar snub of all time.

That’s my rant for the day, and I’m sticking to it.

Steele’s Reels Oscar Picks:

Best Picture: “The Artist”

Actor in a leading role: Gary Oldman (“Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy”)

Actress in a leading role: Roony Mara (“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”)

Actor in a supporting role: Nick Nolte (“Warrior”)

Actress in a supporting role: Berenice Bejo (“The Artist”)

Best Director: Martin Scorsese (“Hugo”)