Entrepreneurship Club pairs with smartphone app to bring ultimate fan experience to campus for Final Four

By Kayla Phelps

Big Blue Nation will embrace a little Color Saturday when the Wildcats participate in the much-anticipated Final Four.

UK Entrepreneurship Club has paired up with Color, a smartphone application created in Palo Alto, California, to bring the ultimate fan experience to campus.

The application allows people to take photos and videos of themselves and then see who is doing the same thing within the area. The application operates similar to a Twitter feed.

“It’s a big deal for Lexington because it’s a way to build a network between powers here and in Palo Alto to which we can share resources and a network of information,” Wes Brooks, UK Entrepreneurship Club president, said.

Brooks has been in contact with Color and says the management team, and potentially the president, will be coming to Lexington to show off the new technology.

He says he contacted the company to use the application in Lexington during March Madness as a marketing push.

“You know what? Facebook got started on a college campus, but Facebook didn’t have the Final Four,” Brooks said.

According to Brooks, a 9’x 12’ or 9’ x 16’ LED JumboTron will be placed outside Tin Roof during the game Saturday to show what the application has to offer.

Anybody within 150 feet can see what is posted, but that vicinity grows when more and more people start taking photos, Brooks said.

A street team in Houston will be using the Color application to post photos and videos for people in Lexington to view. The feed will be accessed and shown on the JumboTron.

Randall Stevens, a local entrepreneur, says Brooks approached him with the idea.

“I think it’s great that we have our own burgeoning tech communication and people working on exciting things here in Lexington,” Stevens said.

Stevens says UK students and other people throughout the city will benefit from the event.

“For color to send its team out is a great chance to highlight the basketball team, as well as bring attention to the types of things and people in Lexington who are working on technology,” Stevens said.

Prior to game time, Brooks highly recommends downloading the application to get the full experience. He says the biggest goal of the event is to build a unique way of connecting.

“If you want to see what’s going on, check out Color,” Brooks said.

The exact hours of the live feed has not been determined, but will definitely last throughout the game, Brooks said.

UK Entrepreneurship Club is also working with the chamber of commerce, IN2LEX and UK’s Von Allmen center for the event. For more information about the Color application, visit www.color.com.