Legacy Trail will impact Lexington after 2010 Games

As a person deeply involved with the creation of the Legacy Trail, I feel like I must clarify some points raised in the editorial on March 29.

The Legacy Trail is a nine- mile walking and biking trail leading from the Isaac Murphy Memorial Art Garden in Lexington’s East End to the Kentucky Horse Park. Over seven miles of this trail are off road, winding through some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere. Public art, cultural and historical features and environmental awareness will mark the Trail. There is no other trail like this in Central Kentucky.

I’m sure that most, if not all, of the hundreds of people who have been involved with planning the Legacy Trail would vigorously dispute the editorial assertions that this is a project with “no real value to the people that call (Lexington) home” and that “it’s not likely that enough people will continue using the Legacy Trail” after the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games in 2010.

In fact, while the Trail will be open in time for the Games, they are merely the catalyst to provide us some long-term enhancements after the Games are over. And the Legacy Trail would have been a priority, Games or no Games. It will help raise our quality of life and make us more attractive to the young professionals who will lead our future economy.

The completion of this Trail will lead to the advancement of many others such as the Town Branch Trail, the HealthWay trail leading from downtown to the Kentucky River and a potential rails-to-trails from downtown to Versailles.

In these times we must demand a large return on investment of public dollars. Because of the Legacy Trail, we will be healthier, saner, more economically successful and more intimately connected to the precious landscape that surrounds us. How many other projects can say that?

Anyone interested in the Legacy Trail can learn more at www.legacycenter.ning.com or on Facebook: Legacy Trail.

Steve Austin

UK alum, founding director

The Legacy Center at Blue Grass Community Foundation