With a change from big-name bands, local bands get more play time

Sometimes it’s hard for a college paper to decide how much play to give the A-list rock stars everyone is talking about, and when to write about the local bands who are either just getting their feet wet, or already hometown celebrities. But after much in-house discussion, the only conclusion is that there is enough mass media coverage of the mainstream pop rock groups out there, and it’s just about time we give a little credit where it’s due – right here in Lexington.

In honor of the venues and groups trying to make Lexington a better music town, we are going to give a hand in the growing process. And since we can’t sing worth a damn, the best place we know where to start is right here, in the Kernel.

Today kicks off our dual effort to give you a better taste of the talent in Central Kentucky, and you can give us a hand. Tell us what local bands you want to see reviewed, profiled and so on and so forth. Go ahead, e-mail us right now at [email protected].

We’ll still have the big-name musicians, especially when they hit up Lexington and Louisville, but there is always a young, never-had-press-coverage band at some bar in Lexington. We just hope to help the exposure.

Tell us who you would like to see reviewed or who you want to know more about. Check out For the Record, our music blog, at www.50.63.25.108/fortherecord.

So for starts, check out The Dame Wednesday, A Portion For Rueben will be showing off their acoustic, folk-rock sound. Their sound is more vocal than anything, with a fiddle or electric violin present in almost every song.

As for now, expect Kelly’s first column next week. She is still considering topics, so e-mail her with ideas at [email protected].

Brad Luttrell and Kelly Wiley are journalism seniors. E-mail [email protected].