The Heartless Bastards bring new sound, set to Lexington

By Matt Murray

Since their inception in 2003, the Heartless Bastards have been an ever-changing entity. Members have come and gone, as have musical styles, and everything has been in constant motion, save the group’s nucleus, their core, Erika Wennerstrom.

Wennerstrom has been the one constant in a group that has seen so much change since 2003; the once five-piece band is now a 3-piece band, with Erika being the only original member. As a result, she is the band’s primary writer, influencing their gritty, garage-rock feel.

However, certain experiences in Wennerstrom’s life have begun to lead her music in a new direction.

“I attended a folk music festival in San Francisco this past year, and it was a style I had never really incorporated into my music up until that point. I’d say that had a big influence on the style of the new record,” Wennerstrom said.

The Heartless Bastards newest album, “The Mountain,” is their first venture from the straight forward indie-rock of their past efforts.

“ We used a fair amount of extra instrumentation,” Wennerstrom said. “We incorporated a banjo, some mandolin and other various instruments you’d find in folk groups.”

The Heartless Bastards will bring their new set to the Dame Thursday, and Wennerstrom expressed her sentiment about playing at the venue.

“The Dame has always been really cool,” she said.  “Because we live so close, up in Cincinnati, it has always been like a another home venue to us.”

The Heartless Bastards are an indie-rock group on the brink of major label success. For any fan of melodic, indie rock, seeing this group at Lexington’s most infamous indie venue is a must.