Let officials know your stance on drinking age

With politics now on everyone’s mind, it may be a good time to resurface an unsettled issue in our state. Kentucky is one of seven states in the United States who had once considered legislation to lower the legal drinking age from 21 to 18. In Kentucky, according to USA Today, most wanted to pass this only for military, arguing if they have the responsibility of military service, they have the ability to make mature decisions when it comes to alcohol. This is fair to say, but some wish to lower the drinking age for all to 18.

I believe this would be a bad idea. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, “alcohol is the drug of choice among youth.” Lowering the drinking age to 18 would only make this drug more accessible to more youth.

There are also medical reasons that make those under the age of 21 not physically able to handle the effects of alcohol. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services warns, “The brain keeps developing well into the twenties,” health risks also include liver effects, growth and endocrine effects.

Underage drinking also has deadly consequences. Each year, approximately “5,000 young people under the age of 21 die as a result of underage drinking.” This includes 1,900 deaths from motor vehicle crashes, 1,600 as a result of homicides, 300 from suicide as well as hundreds from other injuries such as falls, burns and drowning, according to the Department of Heath.

Opponents may argue that lowering the drinking age would actually result in less of these deaths because teens would not drink as much if it was legal, and not so taboo. Yet, in reality, drinking will still happen and be a social activity no matter the legal age. I know this may seem like a lecture you may hear from your parents, but I ask all readers, whether you agree with me or not, to consider what is best for those you care about when it comes to alcohol. Voice your opinion on this issue to our state representatives.

Nicole Hayes

journalism freshman