Kentucky women’s basketball suffers 84-55 loss against No. 10 NC State at Paradise Jam

Kentucky guard Brooklyn Miles inbounds the ball during the Kentucky vs. ETSU womens basketball game on Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2023, at the Clive M. Beck Center in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 74-66 Photo by Travis Fannon | Staff

Kentucky women’s basketball (2-3) was defeated by the North Carolina State Wolfpack (5-0), 84-55 on Thursday evening.

The Thanksgiving day slate saw Kentucky battle NC State in the U.S. Virgin Islands as a part of Paradise Jam.

The Wildcats had a glimpse of hope before facing the undefeated Wolfpack as they returned senior Maddie Scherr, who missed the past two games with an injury she suffered on Nov. 11 against South Carolina Upstate. Scherr averaged 13 points, 5.5 rebounds and 4.5 assists in two games before her injury.

Kentucky came out and grabbed the first basket, which was followed up by an 11-0 NC State run, forcing Kentucky to call a quick timeout.

The Wolfpack did not look back after that as it dominated the rest of the first half and quickly buried Kentucky.

Heading into halftime, Kentucky was facing a grueling 31-point deficit as it only tallied 24 points compared to North Carolina State’s 55.

The third quarter began and it was a clone of the first half, consisting of pure domination from the Wolfpack as it tacked on 21 points to its total.

While the game was long and difficult for the Wildcats, the fourth quarter saw them put up 21 points while the Wolfpack only put up eight, yet it was not nearly enough as Kentucky’s hole was already dug too deep from the first three quarters.

Ajae Petty, Saniah Tyler and Eniya Russell all led Kentucky with nine points as the Wolfpack’s own Madison Hayes led North Carolina State with 15. 

Kentucky has an even steeper mountain to climb on Friday, Nov. 23, when it is set to face the No. 3 ranked Colorado Buffaloes (5-0) as a part of Paradise Jam.

— Have an inquiry? Reach out at [email protected]

— Women’s basketball beat writer Tyler Russell can be reached directly on Twitter/X @TylerJRuss