Kentucky football falls to No. 24 in week seven AP Poll

Kentucky tight end Josh Kattus (84) celebrates after scoring a touch down during the Kentucky vs. Georgia football game on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2023, at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia. Kentucky lost 51-13. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff

No. 24 Kentucky football dropped four spots in the week seven AP Poll following its massive 51-13 loss to the No.1 Georgia Bulldogs in Athens.

Georgia has sat at the No. 1 spot since Oct. 10, 2022, approaching a full year as college football’s best team.

The blowout loss in Athens led many Kentucky fans to believe the Wildcats would fall outside of the top 25 after failing to seem competitive with the Bulldogs.

Interestingly, the last time the Wildcats were ranked No. 24 was after a 24-13-week 11 loss to the Georgia Bulldogs in 2007 in Athens.

Kentucky redshirt outside linebacker Noah Matthews (55) runs to the locker room at half time during the Kentucky vs. Georgia football game on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2023, at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia. Kentucky lost 51-13. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff

Kentucky’s upcoming game against the Missouri Tigers was initially slated as a top 25 matchup, however the Tigers fell to No. 26, just outside the rankings, after dropping a close game against No. 22 LSU.

UK Head Coach Mark Stoops currently holds a 7-3 record over the Tigers and has led his Wildcats to win the last five straight. Both teams head into the game at 5-1 on the season.

Despite Mizzou’s drop, the SEC still has six teams remaining in the top 25, two of which the Wildcats will face in the coming weeks.

Kentucky’s next top 25 faceoff will be at home against the No. 19 Tennessee Volunteers, where the Wildcats will look for a statement victory in the border battle.

The Wildcats will also face off against No. 11 Alabama in week 10. The Crimson Tide remained stagnant in the week seven poll after a win at Texas A&M.

Alabama and Tennessee will face off next Saturday, Oct 21, before either plays the Cats.

Beyond conference play, the 2023 Governors’ Cup continues to generate excitement as Louisville continues to stack wins. The Cardinals’ most recent victory came against a ranked opponent in previously No. 10 Notre Dame, which dropped down to No. 21. The Cardinals are ranked No. 14.

Kentucky will have five games to go before its matchup with in-state rival Louisville, two of which are against the aforementioned currently ranked opponents.

In the meantime, the Wildcats will look to extend their winning streak over the Mizzou Tigers on Saturday, Oct. 14, at 7:30 p.m. at Kroger Field.