Across the (By)Line: Georgia Bulldogs football

Isabel McSwain
Kentucky Wildcats linebacker Trevin Wallace (32) tackles Georgia Bulldogs running back Kenny McIntosh (6) during the Kentucky vs. No. 1 Georgia football game on Saturday, Nov. 19, 2022, at Kroger Field in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky lost 16-6. Photo by Isabel McSwain | Staff

The “Across the (By)Line” series will give Kentucky basketball fans an in-depth look at their opponent for this week — from the mind of the opposing school’s sports editor.

This week: The Red & Black, Owen Warden, Georgia

Georgia has won 13 straight over the Cats. Do you think UGA fans may be cocky heading into the matchup?

“You see, I think there’s an easy chance that fans could be a little cocky, but Georgia’s slow starts have terrified this fan base more than anything. I don’t think Georgia fans are viewing that 13 win streak, rather thinking that they could lose any game at any time. I’m sure there’s those fans like in any fan base that’ll have Georgia fans winning by 50, but the majority of the group, from what I’ve seen, is more nervous about a loss than anything else.”

How important has Brock Bowers been for this Georgia offense?

Kentucky Wildcats running back Ray Davis (1) celebrates a touchdown during the Kentucky vs. Vanderbilt football game on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2023 at FirstBank Stadium in Nashville, Tennessee. UK won 45-28. Photo by Isaiah Pinto | Staff

“He’s been the offense. Like Ray Davis has been for Kentucky, Brock Bowers has willed himself and the team to victory. Now Carson Beck hasn’t been terrible and the rest of the team is still impressive, especially with Ladd McConkey returning to full strength, but Bowers’ ability to catch, run and even be an effective blocker makes him one of the best tight ends I’ve ever had the pleasure to watch. He’s a great player.”

What worries you the most about this Kentucky team?

“The defense as a whole is pretty scary, as it’s showcased an ability to make plays. Maxwell Hairston is playing out of his mind, Trevin Wallace and J.J. Weaver have both been awesome and the rest of the unit has been really fun. It’s a good defense that could take advantage of some Georgia mistakes. Oh, and of course Ray Davis. If Georgia’s run stoppers aren’t as effective as usual, Davis could be unstoppable.”

What do you think the final result will be when these teams face off?

“I think both teams will go back and forth, with turnovers likely key in who wins. I think Sanford Stadium is a big key in this game though, so I’m predicting a Georgia win 27-20, but no matter what it feels like this one will be close.”