Three incoming UK football transfers who could make an immediate impact this fall

Abbey Cutrer
The Kentucky Wildcats running backs pose for a photo during Media Day on Friday, Aug. 4, 2023, at Kroger Field in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Abbey Cutrer | Staff

Letter from the editor: The Kentucky Kernel, in keeping in line with journalistic integrity and brand beliefs, finds it necessary to mention that the author, Ali Cetinok, currently lives and frequently spends time with many members of the Kentucky football program. The Kernel does not believe this devalues the opinions expressed in this piece in any way, or that Cetinok is not capable of being a professional, but decided it necessary to disclose any conflicts that could potentially sway the author’s opinions on matters.

——————————————————————————————————————————-

In the past few years, Kentucky football has utilized the transfer portal as well as anyone in the nation. 

This spring’s transfer window, which closed in April, saw head coach Mark Stoops add 13 scholarship players to the 2023 roster, while picking up six players in 2022.

With recent success in the portal with the likes of Wan’Dale Robinson and Will Levis still fresh in the minds of the Big Blue Nation, many fans are anxious to see what big names will make an impact for Kentucky this fall.

Of course, former North Carolina State quarterback Devin Leary, the Wildcats’ biggest off-season addition, will be Kentucky’s starter come week one, but here are a few more names to keep an eye on this season.

RAY DAVIS (running back, Vanderbilt)

Kentucky players, coaches and fans will be very excited to see the arrival of veteran running back Ray Davis from Vanderbilt, as they know exactly what he is capable of.

After watching the California native run for 129 yards on 26 carries to spark the upset as Commodores stunned Kentucky in Lexington last year, fans will look to Davis to fill the void for Kentucky that Chris Rodriguez’s departure to the NFL left and potentially be even bigger of an impact for the Cats. 

After two seasons at Temple and another two in Nashville, Davis ran 232 times for 1,042 yards in 2022 and had 29 receptions for 169 yards on the way to scoring three touchdowns, a number he would no doubt like to increase this season. He also averaged 100.9 all-purpose yards per game. 

The arrival of Davis will definitely be exciting for Kentucky fans, but he won’t be a workhorse like Benny Snell or Chris Rodriguez were for the Cats.

With as deep a backfield as Kentucky possesses, with the likes of fellow transfer Demie Sumo-Karngbaye (more on him later), returning players JuTahn McClain and Ramon Jefferson, and freshman Jamarion Wilcox all also looking to make an impact, it is very clear that this talented group will be running-back-by-committee this season. That’s not to say, however, for Davis, that one or two wouldn’t be able to separate themselves ahead of the pack at the same time.

MARQUES COX (offensive line, Northern Illinois)

Having announced his arrival to Lexington on Dec. 15, Cox was one of the first transfers to commit to UK this past window.

He would go on to waste no time making his presence felt all spring as the unquestioned starter at left tackle.

Having started 33 straight games at left tackle at Northern Illinois, Cox’s arrival has played an important role in fixing up Kentucky’s disappointing 2022 offensive line by allowing left guard Kenneth Horsey, center Jager Burton and right guard Eli Cox to shift over one spot from where they played last season. More importantly, this allowed Horsey and Cox to return to the positions they had played, and seemed more comfortable in, two years ago in 2021.

Northern Illinois only allowed 12 sacks in 12 games during the 2022 season to make the Huskies’ offensive line a top 10 unit in the nation compared to Kentucky, which went on to give up the most sacks in amongst all power five programs with 47, while also being ranked dead last in the SEC in points (22.1) and yards (336.3) per game.

DEMIE SUMO-KARNGBAYE (running back, NC State)

Most of the Big Blue Nation probably won’t know a lot about transfer running back Demie Sumo-Karngbaye going into the Ball State game, but he very well may be destined to become a fan favorite for the Wildcats’ faithful in no time.

Having played with Leary for two years at North Carolina State before making the decision to transfer to UK this season, Sumo-Karngbaye played in 14 games during his two years for the Wolfpack, running for 305 yards while averaging 5.5 yards per carry with three touchdowns.

He is also a capable threat in the passing game as he caught 12 passes for 148 yards and one touchdown. 

After his high school career in New Jersey, where he had 1,321 all-purpose yards his senior year while also making a name for himself on the other side of the ball with 53 tackles and two interceptions on defense, he ended up being ranked a top 50 running back nationally. 

While not as big of a name as Davis, Sumo-Karngbaye will be a huge piece for the Cats this season and cannot be understated as an important acquisition.

Overall, there are many reasons to be excited for the new faces that we will see this fall at Kroger Field, as it is very clear that several could have an immediate impact with the season set to begin Sept. 2 against Ball State.