John Calipari, CJ Fredrick praise Sahvir Wheeler after win at Vanderbilt

Jack Weaver

Kentucky Wildcats guard Sahvir Wheeler (2) dribbles the ball during the Kentucky vs. Vanderbilt mens basketball game on Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2023, at Memorial Gymnasium in Nashville, Tennessee. Kentucky won 69-53. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff

Drew Johnson, Staff Writer

With Kentucky’s win over Vanderbilt on Tuesday, the Wildcats extended their win streak to four games, which tied for the largest streak all season.

The good fortune started with a win over then No. 5 Tennessee in Knoxville and continued with home wins over Georgia and Texas A&M.

During this successful stretch, veteran point guard Sahvir Wheeler saw a significant drop in minutes, especially in the second half.

His spot as starting point guard was to freshman Cason Wallace when Wheeler had a shoulder injury, but even after his return, Wallace’s role as the No. 1 guy has continued, especially in the second half.

In fact, entering the game at Vanderbilt, Wheeler had played just 90 seconds in second halves during the winning stretch.

Kentucky Wildcats guard Sahvir Wheeler (2) reacts to a foul call during the Kentucky vs. Vanderbilt mens basketball game on Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2023, at Memorial Gymnasium in Nashville, Tennessee. Kentucky won 69-53. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff (Jack Weaver)

Despite the setbacks, the 5-foot-9-inch guard was very understanding of his role and how he contributed to the success of the team even with a significant cutback in minutes.

“You got to live with that and learn to grow from it and be mature about it because those guys deserve to play as much as anybody else,” Wheeler said of his teammates.

That said, the game on Tuesday seemed to be a turning point for Wheeler, who played 23 minutes, including 12 in the second half.

His speed with the ball allowed Kentucky to play a faster paced game and sparked multiple large runs of offensive dominance for the Wildcats.

Wheeler ultimately finished the game with four points, five assists and a steal, while also earning a plus-minus of 11.

Wheeler also was responsible for several highlight plays, including a steal that he turned into a breakaway score to contribute to an 8-0 Kentucky scoring run.

Head coach John Calipari talked about Wheeler’s impact on the game, saying the former Georgia transfer influenced the team and set the tone of the game.

“I had to put Sahvir in,” Calipari said, “I said, ‘You got one job, get this thing going.’ The game changed the minute he walked in.”

Wheeler also took the opportunity to credit his teammates as well, showing a more humble side amidst all the praise.

“Today was just my opportunity to give us some energy and I did that,” he said. “I got to give all the credit to these guys because they’re the ones who were in there when I wasn’t available.”

The performance made Calipari emotional, with the head coach speaking about the onslaught of negativity Wheeler had received on social media during Kentucky’s low points of the season.

“I kissed Sahvir, I got sweat all over my face. I said, ‘I’m about ready to cry’,” Calipari said. “I know what he’s been through, you don’t. Some people threw stuff at this kid, you don’t know what it does. I always come back to this: if it was your son, how would you want him to be treated?”

Kentucky Wildcats guard Sahvir Wheeler (2) shoots the ball during the Kentucky vs. Vanderbilt mens basketball game on Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2023, at Memorial Gymnasium in Nashville, Tennessee. Kentucky won 69-53. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff (Jack Weaver)

Wheeler’s teammate CJ Fredrick also made sure to praise Wheeler’s performance, going out of his way to compliment him after the game.

“Sahvir was great tonight,” Fredrick said. “He comes in every single day with the leadership mentality, and he’s been ready to go, and he was ready tonight.”

Suffice to say, Wheeler’s return to consistent play was pivotal in Kentucky extending its win streak to four games on Tuesday. 

While he may not be in the starting rotation anymore, his presence played a major role in what was ultimately a dominant win for the Wildcats.

With the former starting point guard seeming to embrace his role as a spark off the bench, Kentucky basketball appears to be firmly back on the right track.

The Wildcats are set to return to play on Saturday, Jan. 28, against No. 9 Kansas in the final edition of the Big 12/SEC Challenge. Tipoff against the Jayhawks is scheduled for 8 p.m. EST and will air live on ESPN.