Layers of love, reality to unfold in upcoming play

Junior theater major Kenny Hamilton, on the left as Ogun, and sophomore theater major Navji Dixon, as Oya, during the dress rehearsal for “In the Red and Brown Water” on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 in Lexington, Ky. Photo by Belle Leininger | Staff

In the past week, the Guignol Theatre was transformed into the heart of the bayou for the UK Department of Theatre’s production of “In the Red and Brown Water” by Tarrell McCraney. 

For director Herman Farrell III, taking a different approach to the stage set-up and using the auditorium as part of the stage was a must. Farrell’s goal in the design is to connect the audience to both of the play’s two components: the “real,” and what is going on beneath the surface.

At first glance, the play is about a young African-American girl entering the world of womanhood, all while being caught between love and a life-changing decision. Once a viewer delves deeper, the play is a retelling of an ancient Yoruban folktale.

“It’s been a challenge to blend the metaphysical aspects with the straight narrative of this play,” Farrell said. “What has made this process so rewarding has been the exquisite cast.”

Theatre sophomore Navji Dixon plays Oya, the main character of the play. For Dixon, acting as Oya has been an opportunity to grow as an actress.

“This is the first time I’ve played a character I can relate to and add personal experience too,” she said. “It’s been the biggest challenge, but it has also helped me improve.”

For theatre sophomore Curtis Lipsey, who plays Shango — a member of the love triangle — the story is important for those who do not always have a voice.

“People in America with such a low economic status don’t often get their stories told,” he said. 

Along with Shango and Oya, a third character is intertwined to create the love triangle. Theatre junior Kenny Hamilton plays Ogun, a young man with a stuttering problem from the other side of town.

“My character is in love with Oya, and he just wants her to love him despite his physical setbacks,” Hamilton said. “It’s been great to develop a relationship with this character and learning to believe in him.”   

Farrell believes the tough choices in Oya’s life are applicable to the audience members everyday lives and decisions.

“The story of Oya and the choices she has to make with regard to her family and the men in her life are something students and faculty can all relate to in some way,” he said.

“In the Red and Brown Water” will be performed at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 18-20 and Feb. 25-27, and 2 p.m. Feb. 21 and 28. Tickets are $10 for students and $15 for general admission. Tickets can be purchased online at www.scfatickets.com or by calling 859-257-4929.

By Rebecca Watters