The Kernel’s guide to dining your way through Valentine’s Day

So, you’ve made it out of the talking stage, maybe even the friend zone if your luck was particularly bad, and finally scored that first date with the person of your dreams — on Valentine’s Day, nonetheless. 

Alternatively, perhaps you’ve decided to gather your closest friends and celebrate or you’re solo-ing the holiday, because self-love rules.

Either way, you’re in need of the perfect spot to spend Cupid’s favorite day, and the Kernel’s got your back.

We’ve picked five of the best Lexington locations — all varying in price and offerings — for you, and while we may not have fallen in love with each other touring them (thankfully), we have a good feeling you and the special people in your life will.

Pasta Garage Italian Cafe

A dish called ‘Fettucini Florentine’ sits on a table at Pasta Garage Italian Cafe on Thursday, Feb. 1, 2024, in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Alexis Baker | Staff

Perfect for the diners who love a laid-back experience that doesn’t forfeit quality, Pasta Garage Italian Cafe is home to surefire dishes featuring pasta that’s prepared fresh daily. While a popular college eatery in the evening, lunchtime hours provide spacious seating for date-worthy conversation. For the holiday, Pasta Garage is offering a dinner-for-two special that includes four different courses and wine at $95 a couple.

Tuk Tuk Snack Shop

A sign lights up at Tuk Tuk Snack Shop on Thursday, Feb. 1, 2024, in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Alexis Baker | Staff

Are you in need of a quick bite before cocktails with your Galentine’s crew? On the hunt for a convenient lunch-date locale to visit in between you and your sweetheart’s busy school schedules? Look no further than Tuk Tuk Snack Shop, a recently opened Sri Lankan restaurant from the mind of chef Sam Fore that combines South Asian flavors with classic Southern handhelds and plates. Located on Malabu Drive in Lexington, Tuk Tuk boasts a colorful interior and mouth-watering selections. Fore told the Kernel that newcomers should try “The Baron,” which is the shop’s lentil-batter beef fritterdog coated in a sweet chili sauce. Tuk Tuk also offers additional seating on Fridays and Saturdays.

Carson’s Food & Drink

People eat dinner at Carson’s Food and Drink on Thursday, Feb. 1, 2024, in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Alexis Baker | Staff

For an upscale option, splurge on your partner or take yourself out to Carson’s Food & Drink. With East Main Street as its home, Carson’s is only a short drive from the university’s north campus. With soft lighting, intimate tables and an all-around rustic look, Carson’s is the ideal scene for a romantic evening. Impress your date by ordering the crowd-favorite grilled salmon oscar or the restaurant’s Valentine’s Day special, which Carson’s staff told the Kernel will be a Creole seafood pasta, and pair your dish with an espresso martini from Carson’s floor-to-ceiling bar. Securing a dinner table at Carson’s for Valentine’s may prove difficult, so book your reservation ahead of time or consider visiting the restaurant for brunch options Friday-Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Kenwick Table 

A Valentine’s Day special drinks menu sit on the counter at Kenwick Table on Thursday, Feb. 1, 2024, in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Alexis Baker | Staff

Stop by Kenwick Table, located in the heart of Lexington’s Kenwick neighborhood, for a cozy coffee date. Kenwick offers a homely appeal with a cultivated coffee shop ambiance. Unwind on the couch next to the fireplace or get to know locals at the community table. While the menu offers selections from lattes to wine, consider trying a Valentine’s Day drink. Kenwick is showcasing the “Mint 2 Be,” a brown sugar cold brew with a pink peppermint whipped topping, a 21+ cordial cherry “Box O’ Chocolates” cocktail and a “Buncha Roses” tangy beetroot lemonade.

Wise Bird Cider Co.

Drinks sit on a table at Wise Bird Cider Co. on Thursday, Feb. 1, 2024, in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Alexis Baker | Staff

Did the date go well enough to take things into the later evening with drinks? Pay Lexington’s expanding Distillery District a visit and enjoy traditional craft ciders and cocktails at the family-owned Wise Bird Cider Co. Try taproom favorites like the “Kentucky Twilight” and the “Rosé Cider” (a perfectly pink holiday option), or sample from Wise Bird’s $5-mocktail menu. Whether you’re popping in with your partner this Valentine’s Day or grabbing your friends for happy hour, Wise Bird’s elevated space and friendly staff ensure plenty of good vibes.