Day of Outreach

Cookies with an appreciation note given out to UK Dining employees on Thursday. 

By Bailey Vandiver

Members of the Baptist Campus Ministry at UK wear t-shirts that say, “Love God, Love People.”

Their annual Day of Outreach is one way they love people. 

Within the BCM, the Campus Outreach Leadership Team focuses on ways to interact with people outside of the organization, including the Day of Outreach. 

“It’s a day full of coordinated events geared toward serving the campus and Lexington community,” Amy Langford, a sophomore biology major, said. 

Langford is a member of the team, like Zach McKinney was when he was a sophomore. Now McKinney, a senior mechanical engineering major, is the team leader. 

McKinney and the team worked together to plan the events, held on Nov. 3, which included serving meals to the homeless and giving free hot chocolate to students. The students were encouraged to participate as much as they could and pray whenever they couldn’t participate. 

“I’ve always just had a heart for outreach,” McKinney said.

One way the BCM gave back to the campus community was by giving notes and goody bags to UK Dining Employees. 

McKinney said the team realized that these workers have impacts on the students that are often taken for granted. The simple gifts showed the students’ appreciation for the hard work from the employees. 

Langford and several other students delivered cookies to the 90 office for employees to pick up. 

Freshman Lilly Robertson, a community leadership development major, prayed with a woman named Joyce, who called herself “the sample lady.”

She was very excited to pray with Robertson and other students, Robertson said. Other BCM students prayed with workers as well.

“She was thankful for the acknowledgement of her service to the university,” Robertson said. 

The BCM ended the Day of Outreach with a free chili supper perfect for a rainy November evening.

For the people of the BCM, Day of Outreach was a reminder of “how easy it is to show people kindness and share the gospel,” Langford said. 

Ultimately, McKinney said the Day of Outreach was to serve people outside of the BCM “without asking anything in return.”