Kentucky football hires new offensive coordinator Bush Hamdan

Abbey Cutrer
Kentucky head coach Mark Stoops waves to fans at the Cat Walk before the Kentucky vs. Eastern Kentucky football game on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023, at Kroger Field in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Abbey Cutrer | Staff

Kentucky football announced the hiring of its new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Bush Hamdan on Wednesday.

The Wildcats made the hire to replace Liam Coen, who left Lexington to join the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Hamdan comes to Lexington from Idaho, most recently acting as the offensive coordinator for Boise State.

Born in Kuwait City, Kuwait, Hamdan played football for the Broncos from 2004-08 before graduating with a degree in communications.

With his playing days behind him, he joined the coaching staff at Colorado as a student assistant in 2009, which kicked off a span of nine different jobs in nine different years.

Hamdan started his rise with a move to Maryland, where he served as a position coach, before taking other positions coaching spots at Sacramento State and Florida.

He got his first coordinator position with Davidson College in 2014 when he became offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

One year later he joined the Washington Huskies as a quality control coach before being promoted to wide receivers coach and passing coordinator the next year.

The promotion was fruitful for Hamdan as it allowed him to join the Atlanta Falcons of the NFL in 2017 as a quarterbacks coach before he returned to Washington as a quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator.

His return to Washington would not mark a career peak as he was fired shortly after the team’s Las Vegas Bowl win, with Hamdan joining Missouri as a wide receivers coach and quarterbacks coach after.

In 2022 he would become only wide receivers coach for the Tigers before joining Boise State the next year.

Now looking to make magic happen in Lexington, Hamdan will inherit a roster stacked with transfers including former five-star quarterback Brock Vandagriff.

Kentucky football is set to kick-off its 2024 season on August 31 against Southern Miss with Hamdan leading the offense.