Kentucky football adds talented junior college commitment

Head coach Mark Stoops of the Kentucky Wildcats high fives UK fans during the Cat Walk prior to the game against Vanderbilt University on Saturday, November 11, 2017 in Nashville, Tennessee. Photo by Arden Barnes | Staff

Peyton Barnhill

The Kentucky football coaching staff received exciting news on Sunday. Garden City Community College quarterback Terry Wilson committed to play football for Kentucky, choosing the Wildcats over Nebraska and Florida. 

Wilson will have three seasons of eligibility remaining at UK.

Coming out of high school, Wilson was regarded as one of the top dual-threat quarterbacks in the nation. Wilson decided to commit to the University of Oregon and enrolled there for his freshman semester.

After redshirting his freshman year, Wilson decided to transfer to Garden City Community College in Garden City, Kansas. There, Wilson was able to lead Garden City to an 8-4 record while compiling 2,113 yards passing, 26 touchdowns through the air, and 11 interceptions. 

He was also able to rush for 518 rushing yards, five touchdowns on the ground, and four fumbles.

After losing a commitment from top high school quarterback recruit Jarren Williams, head coach Mark Stoops and the Kentucky coaching staff have been searching for a quarterback to add to the 2018 recruiting class.

Wilson brings the style of offense that Kentucky has become accustomed to under senior quarterback Stephen Johnson. Being a dual-threat quarterback, Wilson has an ability to not only be an elite passer for the Cats, but also an elusive ball carrier.

The commitment from Wilson pushes Kentucky’s 2018 football recruiting class to a total of 18 recruits, its national ranking to No. 28 and its SEC ranking to No. 9 out of the 14 teams in the conference. 

Wilson is the only quarterback commitment in the 2018 class.

The Kentucky coaching staff had already prepared to face a quarterback challenge this offseason to decide who will replace Johnson as the Cats’ starter for the 2018 season. Wilson’s commitment gives the staff an option to add another dimension to the offense.