UPDATE: UK student has died after incident at Jewell Hall

Police cars were parked next to Jewell Hall, a dorm on UK’s campus, on Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2018, in Lexington, Kentucky. A student was transported from the scene via ambulance after 2 p.m. Photo by Jordan Prather | Staff

Jacob Eads

A UK student who was taken away from Jewell Hall yesterday via ambulance has died. 

19-year-old Sean Culley died Wednesday evening, according to an email issued to all students within UK’s College of Engineering. Culley was a freshman studying pre-materials engineering, according to the email.

UK officials confirmed yesterday that a student was involved in an incident at Jewell Hall shortly after 2:00 p.m. Witnesses at the scene reported seeing emergency crews transport a young man into an ambulance via a stretcher.

Emergency vehicles occupied the intersection of Avenue of Champions and S. Martin Luther King Boulevard until the scene was mostly cleared around 2:45 p.m.

UK Spokesperson Jay Blanton said that foul play was not believed to be a factor in Culley’s death.

“Our thoughts are with his family, loved ones and friends across the campus at this time. We extend our deepest condolences to them and to everyone impacted by this tragedy,” said UK Spokesperson Jay Blanton.

A Thursday statement from UK said that the campus’s counseling center will be “working closely with those on our campus who understandably have been impacted.”