Women’s soccer hopes to spark offense against Alabama

By Anthony Crawford

UK women’s soccer is set to take on Alabama at 8:00 p.m. Friday in Tuscaloosa, Ala. The team will look to get its offense back on track after its 0-0 draw to Wisconsin on Sunday.

UK

6-1-1

Ranking: n/a

Goals scored: 19

Goals allowed: 4

Player to watch: Michaela Dooley

The junior forward has started every game this season and is tied for second on the team in points. Dooley has three goals on the season, all coming in the team’s victory against Toledo. Her hat-trick proves the forward has a lot of scoring potential. Look for another showing of Dooley’s goal scoring abilities against the Crimson Tide.

Preview:

The Cats were held to its first scoreless outing of the season in its double overtime game against Wisconsin. The team was held to just nine shots after attempting 19 in the four-goal game against Ole Miss. With the results produced in previous games, it’s a little early to raise calls of concern for the offense, but the defense has proved to be reliable.

The Cats defense has given up goals in only two of its eight games. The ability of the defense to lock down the opposing teams gives the offense more flexibility, offering the offense more chances to attack with assurance that its back line will hold strong behind them. Goalkeeper Kaitlyn Jensen has exceeded expectation this season with 16 saves. If the play of the defense continues, look for the Cats to win with ease against another SEC foe.

Alabama

3-3-2

Ranking: n/a

Goals scored: 6

Goals allowed: 6

Player to watch: Chatham Deprospo

In the match-up against the Crimson Tide, UK will notice a familiar face in the midfield. Chatham Deprospo, a transfer from Louisville, was a starter for the Cards and played against UK in a 2-0 loss last season with Louisville. Now with Alabama, the sophomore midfielder is one of the leading contributors on offense. Second on the team with three points, Deprospo has been able to contribute in scores and assists. After scoring in her last conference game last week against LSU, look for her to be on the attack against the Cats.

Preview:

This season for Alabama has been one of ups and downs. The offense struggles at times with only six goals on the season so far but does seem to be improving, with half of those coming from the overtime win over LSU in their first conference game. The Crimson Tide is undefeated thus far in conference play and has a chance to turn their season around with a statement win against a once-ranked opponent in UK.