Capilouto vaccinated in support of American Pharmacists Month

By Jennifer Abreu

UK President Eli Capilouto received his flu shot from a third-year pharmacy student Thursday to support American Pharmacists Month and to raise awareness about the flu season.

The idea of immunizing Capilouto emerged form the College of Pharmacy and its students to emphasize the importance of the vaccination.

Jay Blanton, executive director for public relations and marketing, said in an email to the Kernel that the initiative also highlights the quality of education UK provides to its students.

“One of the tremendous things about UK is that learning is experienced in so many ways – both theoretical and hands-on,” he said.

Blanton said by also bringing attention to American Pharmacists Month, the UK College of Pharmacy can be recognized.

“We are blessed to have one of the Top 5 Colleges of Pharmacy in the country,” he said, “Highlighting the work of these students and health-care professionals is important because it underscores the diversity of careers involved in pharmacy, as well as the incredible experience our students receive at UK.”

The student who immunized Capilouto is pharmacy junior Bridgette Kanz.

She said in an email to the Kernel that Capilouto was only the third person she had vaccinated.

“I was nervous,” she said, “but once I met Dr. Capilouto it really felt like any other patient encounter, and I felt very confident in my skills and training.”

Kanz, who is also a pharmacy intern at UK Chandler Hospital, said hands-on experience is what’s most important.

“The difference with a top 5 school is our level of involvement in the community,” she said. “We are already reaching out to make a difference in healthcare before we’ve even graduated.”

Kanz encourages all students to get a flu shot and reminds that prevention is key.

“The most important reason to get a flu shot is prevention. Not only to prevent yourself from getting sick, but to prevent your boyfriend, your best friend, your roommate or your cute little niece that you visit on the weekend,” she said.

Students and staff can also get their flu shots. Flu sessions are being held around campus throughout the week.

UK Health Services is vaccinating Tuesday outside Big Blue Deli from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and on Wednesday, at the Johnson Recreational Center, from 4 to 7 p.m.

The first 50 individuals to come to this clinic will receive a University Health Services thermometer. The last session on campus is Oct. 25 outside the Big Blue Deli from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The influenza vaccination began Oct. 1 at W.T. Young Library and Fadyia Lowe, the UHS health education and marketing coordinator, said the number of shots given have been increasing each day.

At every clinic, 80 to 100 vaccinations are provided, she said.

The idea of having the clinics at different locations on campus is mainly for student’s convenience, Lowe said.

“We know that sometimes students don’t get to make it to the medical side of campus, and they may forget it’s time for flu shots and that they need it,” she said.

Lowe said overall the UK Health Services has received a “great response” from the campus community, and that she expects more people will show up to get vaccinated.

“Everyone is all about protecting themselves,” she said.

The shot costs $10 for students with a student ID and free with a valid UK AHP Student Insurance card.

For staff with ID it costs $20.

Students will be able to utilize their Plus accounts, Lowe said.