Policy change needs to go beyond tobacco

Letter to Editor by Patrick J Lonneman

Firstly, I commend the efforts to combat the vile and disgusting, though still legal, habit of using tobacco. No one should be forced to breathe cigarette smoke to learn or work on this campus. But to prohibit smoking anywhere, inside or out, goes against the higher message that this campus has sought to engender — one of welcoming people of various views, races, nationalities, sexualities, and yes, bad habits.

To not even allow smokers to smoke outside — 20 feet from any UK building entrance — sends a message of exclusivity that should not be allowed to thrive anywhere, much less on a university campus.

Are non-smokers somehow “superior” people? That’s the impression I get with this policy. Therefore, I would like to voice my disapproval and confusion at the implementation, selectivity and ultimate haughtiness of such a policy.

Furthermore, I feel it sets a precedent with far-reaching ramifications. Again, efforts to get people to quit smoking are noble. But heart disease is the No. 1 killer in this country, brought on largely by diet.

Why not attack people’s eating habits on campus? Prohibit food and drink that we know are bad for people. There can’t be that much about those slices of pepperoni pizza at Sbarro that are good for you. And what’s good about a Coke? Hypertension? Cavities?

Not only is UK allowing its students, faculty and staff to slowly kill themselves by ingesting such items on campus, but UK is actively encouraging it by letting such purveyors of obesity set up right in our midst. But no, we better attack the already put-upon minority of smokers on campus instead. It’s a misguided policy that goes against the goals of this university.

Patrick J Lonneman

graduate student, Patterson School