Skillet ‘Awake’ on latest album

From time to time a band’s talent far exceeds their recognition, keeping them under the radar much longer than they deserve. Skillet is one of these bands.

Lineup changes and sonic evolution may be to blame for the bands inability to lock down a permanent fan base. The once post-grunge band replaced half of its members in 1999, turning their sound to electronic rock. Elements of metal would infuse itself on following albums, until finally Skillet would build their foundation on hard rock. Their latest album, “Awake,” is no exception.

Skillet’s genre hopping has given them an uncanny ability to write a diverse span of songs across a single album. “Awake” features plenty of straightforward rockers, but each one is laced with an entirely unique sound underlying its melodies. “Awake and Alive” is accompanied by a string section, and does so without losing its edge. 

Much of the thickness in Skillet’s sound is sustained by lead singer John Cooper’s versatile voice. He has the strength behind his vocals to carry a fist-pumping rock song just as well as he can pour out lyrics in a sentimental ballad, as he does on “Don’t Wake Me.”

It’s this diversity that makes “Awake” the type of album that one can listen to from beginning to end without skipping a single track. But the diversity of sound, melodic hooks and Cooper’s vocals aren’t the only reasons to check out “Awake.” In an age where rock music is burdened with the stigma of being centered on dark lyrical material, Skillet’s lyrics are instead uplifting, positive messages, which is refreshing in and of itself.

The encouraging lyrics aren’t a surprise seeing as before their arrival to Lava/Atlantic records, Skillet was on a Christian record label. “Awake” certainly has its share of spiritual content, but not enough to turn off the secular listener.

Skillet may have been handed the opportunity for its first breakthrough, as the song “Hero” was featured in an NFL promo for the upcoming Steelers-Titans game this season.

Skillet has been flying under the radar for the past decade, but “Awake” certainly should be throwing up some blips for those who have been missing out.

Matt Murray is a journalism junior. E-mail mmurray@kykernel.