Sophomore Zennia Thomas dismissed from Kentucky women’s basketball team

Carter Skaggs
Kentucky Wildcats forward Zennia Thomas (24), head coach Kyra Elzy and guard Robyn Benton (1) walk off the court after the No. 14 Kentucky vs. No. 3 Tennessee womens basketball game in the SEC Tournament quarterfinals on Friday, March 3, 2023, at Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, South Carolina. Tennessee won 80-71. Photo by Carter Skaggs | Staff

Kentucky women’s basketball announced the dismissal of sophomore forward Zennia Thomas on Tuesday as a result of undisclosed disciplinary issues. 

The dismissal follows Thomas’ indefinite suspension that was announced back in November prior to the Wildcats matchup against the Boston College Eagles. 

“We hold our players to a high standard at Kentucky,” head coach Kyra Elzy told UK Athletics. “Unfortunately, when someone does not consistently meet those standards, I have to make the tough decision to dismiss them from the program. We wish Zennia and her family nothing but the best moving forward.” 

Thomas arrived in Lexington as a highly touted recruit out of high school, averaging 30 points and 14 rebounds a game in her senior campaign at Warrensville Heights. Thomas chose Big Blue Nation over offers from both Purdue and Arizona State.  

Heading into her freshman year at Kentucky, Thomas would look to fill the shoes of notable departures in the likes of Rhyne Howard and Dre’una Edwards but would struggle to find minutes.

Thomas would make seven appearances for Kentucky in her sophomore season, coming off the bench and seeing significantly more time on the floor in relief of senior forward Ajae Petty.  

With Thomas’s dismissal, the Wildcats lose a lot of height as Kentucky awaits the return of senior forward Nyah Leverreter. Freshman Janae Walker currently acts as the only available aid for Petty down low.  

Representatives from Kentucky women’s basketball stated that the program would make no further comment on the dismissal. 

View Comments (1)