Kentucky football wide receivers coach Scott Woodward fired after 2023 season

The Kentucky Wildcats wide receivers pose for a photo with coach Scott Woodward during Media Day on Friday, Aug. 4, 2023, at Kroger Field in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Abbey Cutrer | Staff

Kentucky football wide receivers coach Scott Woodward was fired on Wednesday following the 2023 football season.

Head football coach Mark Stoops chose not to renew Woodward’s contract after three years in Lexington.

The 2023 season was a disappointing one for Kentucky fans on the offensive side of the ball, with lofty expectations having been set for sophomores Dane Key and Barion Brown, as well as veteran Tayvion Robinson.

Both freshmen broke records in 2022 but suffered sophomore slumps, with both having drops and fumbles and the offense, as a whole, struggling to get going for the majority of the season.

This was only made worse by the fact that the Wildcats returned offensive coordinator Liam Coen, who had led an explosive offense to 10 wins during the 2021 campaign.

Transfer quarterback Devin Leary and his receivers seemed to not quite be on the same page for much of the season, with Brown’s numbers decreasing overall and, while Key improved his numbers, the sophomore recorded numerous zero-one catch games.

Both also struggled in the Cats’ 17-14 loss to South Carolina, which saw the Cats fall to 6-5 on the season and have a second consecutive losing season in conference play.

Woodward’s departure will see Kentucky in search of its sixth wide receivers coach under Mark Stoops.

A replacement for Woodward has not yet been announced.

Kentucky finished the 2023 season 7-5 overall with a bowl game date and matchup to be announced.