Kentucky hockey earns 8-2 win over Cincinnati

Travis Fannon
Kentucky winger Kyle Mead controls the puck during the Kentucky vs. Louisville hockey game on Friday, Sept. 29, 2023, at the Lexington Ice Center in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky lost 1-0. Photo by Travis Fannon | Staff

Kentucky club hockey took home its second win of the weekend over Cincinnati, with the first win being the first in a year, winning 8-2 on Saturday.

The Wildcats got off to a strong start when, within the first minute of the game, the puck made it straight into the net with a goal scored by Collin Costello.

Sophomore Arley Cutler started and finished in goal for the Wildcats and executed 45 saves throughout the entire game, with a shutout during the first period. 

With a short five minutes left in the first period, Cameron Chabot and Colin Holtz brought the Wildcats the lead by each scoring a goal less than a minute apart. The first period concluded with a score of 3-0 in favor of Kentucky.

The Wildcats and Bearcats both had an aggressive start to the second period, with no goals scored and penalties given out to both teams due to the aggressive play.

With no goals scored throughout the majority of the second period, the Bearcats managed to score one of their two goals of the night. This did not stop the Wildcats’ momentum when, shortly after, Chabot scored his second goal of the night.

Less than six seconds left in the second period did not phase Jake Laube, as he swept the puck right into the net to end the second period with a score of 5-1, leaving the Wildcats with the lead.

The aggressive gameplay continued in the third period when, within the first two minutes, a goal was scored by Tim Burke with the assist of Jack Noel.

As the competitive atmosphere stayed within the Lexington Ice Center, Laube effortlessly scored two more goals back-to-back, and executed a hat trick for the night. 

The Bearcats scored their second and final goal of the night with three minutes left of gameplay, which left the final score, 8-2 Wildcats.

Kentucky hockey will return to the ice on Dec. 1 at the Ohio State University Ice Rink versus Ohio State, and will return to the Lexington Ice Center on Jan. 20 to face Louisville.