Four Kentucky basketball signees selected for McDonald’s All-American game

Jack Weaver

Kentucky Wildcats head coach John Calipari coaches his team during the Kentucky vs. No. 7 Alabama mens basketball game on Saturday, Jan. 7, 2023, at Coleman Coliseum in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Alabama won 78-52. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff

Luke Fetzer, Staff Writer

The future of John Calipari’s basketball team looks bright as four signees for the incoming class of 2023 have been selected for the McDonald’s All-American game. 

Those selected include Aaron Bradshaw, Justin Edwards, DJ Wagner and Reed Sheppard, all of which are five-star prospects, with the exception of Sheppard, who is a four-star. 

With these signees, Calipari has signed 44 McDonald’s All-Americans out of high school during his tenure, which stands as the highest number of any collegiate basketball program at any level.

Multiple players from each of Calipari’s 15 signing classes have been selected for the game, with the highest totals being six selected in 2013 and five in 2017. 

Since its inception in 1977, Kentucky has signed 76 McDonald’s All-Americans, with Damion Collins, Chris Livingston and Cason Wallace being some of the latest All-Americans that are still currently with the Wildcats. 

With the exception of two seasons, the Cats have signed a top-three recruiting class in the nation every year under Calipari, with the incoming class raising their total to 71 top-50 recruits, 56 top-25 recruits and 31 top-10 prospects. 

The four signees will be in action on March 28th inside the Toyota Center in Houston, with the 46th edition of the McDonald’s All-American game set to commence.