Former UK student arrested for assault waives right to preliminary hearing

Abbey Cutrer

Sophia Rosing leaves the stand at her preliminary hearing on Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2022, at the Robert F. Stephens District Courthouse in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Abbey Cutrer | Kentucky Kernel

Kendall Staton

Former UK student Sophia Rosing appeared in court this morning for a preliminary hearing on charges of assault and public intoxication. Upon arrival, Rosing waived the right to a preliminary hearing based on advice from her attorney, Fred Peters.

Peters said prosecuting attorney Sam Finley agreed to share a copy of police body camera footage with him as a result of the waived preliminary hearing.

Waiving the right to her preliminary hearing will cause Rosing’s case to be sent to Fayette County Grand Jury for further proceedings. A date has not been set for her next court appearance.

Rosing attended her last court hearing Nov. 7, virtually from Fayette County Detention Center and was released on bond later that day. She appeared in person at the Robert F. Stephens District Court House this morning.

Judge Lindsey Hughes Thurston reminded Rosing to follow the conditions of her bail including no contact with the alleged victims, no alcohol consumption and no presence on UK’s campus. She also said the most important thing for Rosing to do is stay in contact with Peters.

Police arrested Rosing around 3 a.m. on Sunday Nov. 6 in UK’s Boyd Hall after bystanders recorded her assaulting UK desk clerk Kylah Spring. In the video, Rosing is seen physically and verbally attacking Spring while using racial slurs. She has since been banned from UK’s campus.