UK students willing to bleed to beat Cards

UK students’ fervor in the ongoing blood drive is admirable. The Kernel reported on Sept. 5 that, as of last week, UK was leading with a more than 2 to 1 ratio in the annual Battle of the Bluegrass blood drive against the University of Louisville.

In the week leading up to the Governor’s Cup, the annual football game between UK and U of L, we are happy to see that UK students carry the rivalry beyond sporting events.

Donating blood has a much deeper impact than merely showing school spirit. Hospitals constantly demand blood to save patients’ lives, and that demand is never ending. Each time a donor gives blood, there is a good chance that he or she is saving someone’s life.

In Kentucky, 37 percent of the population is eligible to donate blood. In reality, 5 percent actually do.

These statistics explain the shortage of life saving blood supply in the state. That shortage can be further relieved by UK students.

UK students already make up a large percentage of the donor population in Lexington. At the Kentucky Blood Center, college students provide about 25 percent of all blood donations, the Kernel reported.

While UK is already beating U of L by a large margin in the blood drive, students must realize that the need for blood does not end with the competition tomorrow.

Blood drive or not, we encourage eligible students to continue donating blood. Being a blood donor is more than supporting UK — it’s supporting each other.