Senioritis is real

Illustration by Akhila Nadimpalli

In less than one month, I’ll be graduating college.

I’ve spent 16 years of my life in school, and I’m almost finally free.

I’ve thought about how this would feel for years. The one thing I didn’t consider when painting this perfect picture is senioritis.

So, what exactly is senioritis?

It’s this little voice in the back of my head saying, “You can afford to miss this class” or “You’re about to graduate, a few missing assignments can’t hurt at this point.”

As much as I wish I could, I just can’t seem to find the motivation to finish the semester on a high note.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not entirely checked out yet. I still finish my assignments and show up to class.

However, procrastination has become my best friend and my worst enemy.

It’s not that I don’t understand how important it is to complete these assignments. Rather, I have lost all motivation to do so.

Google defines senioritis as, “a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.”

My biggest problem with that definition is “supposed.”

While some say senioritis is some kind of joke or excuse for laziness, I can assure you that it is very real.

Senioritis may not be a medical diagnosis, but it could be signs of other mental health issues.

Some of the symptoms associated with senioritis could also be linked to common symptoms of depression, such as irregular sleep schedules or low energy levels.

It’s no secret that mental health disorders like depression and anxiety affect college campuses. A study from neaToday found that a little over 60% of college students meet the descriptions for at least one mental health issue.

The study also found this to be a 50% increase from 2013.

I’m not saying that seniors shouldn’t be held accountable for their actions and choices.

However, how can we be expected to help ourselves if it doesn’t seem like anyone around us cares one way or another?

Again, senioritis is a technical disease, but that doesn’t mean it should be ignored as it could lead to other issues.

Instead of trying to shame students for their “laziness,” offer a helping hand or some show of support.

Like other illnesses, senioritis can be managed.

There are several ways to do so, such as building support systems, focusing on yourself and scheduling breaks.

No matter how you choose to combat those little voices in your head telling you to put off that assignment or skip your next class, do not hesitate to ask for help.

You are not alone, and you certainly aren’t the only senior feeling this way. It has been a long four years for us all, but we’re almost there.