Enjoyable school year nears end, finish well

Column by Ryan Smith

Hey guys! I hope you’re studying hard and preparing for finals. As we enter Dead Week, the end of the semester is right around the corner, and I encourage you to hang in there for just a little bit longer.

First, I would like to thank everyone who came out to “UK Remembers.” This was our first memorial service held in remembrance of students, faculty, staff and alumni who have passed, and the event will, without a doubt, become a tradition here at UK.

Student Government would also like to remind you we are currently accepting applications for our executive board. Several new positions are available we want to fill them with the best and brightest students. If you’re interested, descriptions of executive board positions and applications can be found at www.uksga.org.

While Kelsey and I have been very busy this past year, our Senate has been working just as hard. The Senate allocated more than $100,000, helping more than 115 student organizations this past year.

Last night the newly elected senators were sworn in and are now ready to help your student organization with your funding needs.

Is the heat getting to you? Well we’re here to help. SG is now sponsoring Lemonade Wednesdays. While walking to class on Wednesdays, feel free to stop outside of the classroom building and grab a cup of lemonade.

I would also like congratulate the graduating seniors on our staff. Ben Duncan, Falon Thacker and Bryan Kennedy have all worked hard and will be greatly missed. We wish you good luck in future endeavors.

We would also like to express our gratitude to everyone who makes what we do possible. This includes Student Center custodians, the Student Affairs staff, our wonderful advisors Todd Cox and Lynn Fresca, UK Public Relations and Dean Hazard. All of you are essential to helping SG, and we are thankful to have you on our team.

As the weather gets better and you have more studying to do, I insist you to go out and study around campus. We have a beautiful campus and I encourage you to take advantage of such places like the Memorial Hall Amphitheater, the bowl next to the W.T. Young Library and of course the arboretum. These are just a few places that would be great to hit the books and enjoy the beauty of our campus.

I, along with everyone here at SG, wish you the best of luck with finals. I hope everyone has a fun and safe summer. We’ll see you in the fall!