Doctor’s Panel offers advice to students

By Taylor Riley

In college, many topics arise that might be uncomfortable to discuss with family.

The Center for Community Outreach’s Education & Advocacy Department will present a Doctor’s Panel on Tuesday to answer students’ health questions.

Four UK health professionals will inform students on sex education, healthy eating and fitness, psychology disorders, and general health and wellness, said Allie Coop, the event coordinator.

Coop said this is the first year the CCO has had the program. “I think it’s a really good idea because health promotion can lead to healthy lifestyles,” Hanna Wagner, a nursing student, said.

The event is based on the hit television show, “The Doctors,” starring fitness guru Jillian Michaels and Dr. Travis Stork, who answer audience member’s questions regarding health concerns.

“I always watch the show and I think it’s great they are setting up a localized version at UK,” Anah Switzer, a biology student, said. “If I knew how to fight sleep deprivation and how to deal with the stresses of college my freshman year, there would have been a lot less sleepless nights.”

The doctor’s panel will discuss many issues affecting young people in college, including relationships and avoiding the “freshman 15.”

A question and answer portion will take place after the lecture. The Doctor’s Panel will be held Tuesday at 4 p.m. in room 111 of the Student Center.