The Kernel is here to represent you

Welcome to the pages of the Kentucky Kernel.

The Kernel is a newspaper and website run by students, for students. Our staff covers all aspects of campus and beyond.

Our editors, reporters, columnists, photographers and designers take our watchdog role seriously, which means we strive for fair reporting but aren’t afraid to ask tough questions.

We’re here to represent you by reporting on issues that affect and interest you.

You’re paying for an education at this institution, and you pay taxes. You deserve to know what happens behind the scenes at the place you’ll be spending nearly eight months, including how public money is spent and which events you might want to attend on a Friday night.

We focus on great stories that stem from the basements of classroom buildings to the meetings at the top of Patterson Office Tower. All around this campus and around the world, UK students, staff, faculty and alumni are doing amazing work.

We want to get to know them and tell their stories.

We often tout that because our staff is made up of students, we cover this campus like no one else can. But we need your help to do so. If you have comments, questions, corrections or tips for the Kernel at any time, feel free to contact me or any of our editors. Or stop us when you see us at events or walking around with cameras over our shoulders and notebooks and recorders in our hands. With your help, we can continue to make a difference on this campus.