Inaugural event celebrates volunteer efforts toward animals

By Shelby Luna

Promoting Animal Welfare and Service is hosting its first ever Pictures with Santa PAWS. Pet owners are invited to bring their dogs to the School of Art and Visual Studies on Saturday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. for a photo shoot with Santa.

PAWS is a student-based organization housed within the Center for Community Outreach. They strive to positively impact the lives of animals in need through volunteer efforts, educating the public and advocating for non-discrimination of “bully breeds” that are negatively portrayed in the media.

“This type of fundraiser is a pretty common holiday fundraiser, but I wanted to offer something primarily for UK students and faculty — something fun, affordable, and on campus for students to get to easily,” Michael Goffinet, director of PAWS said. “After all, who doesn’t love dogs and the holiday season?”

Some of the proceeds will go to the local, non-profit animal shelter Homeward Bound Canine Rescue and Rehabilitation, which provides assistance to local high kill shelters by pulling dogs from death row and resettling them in safe rescues or permanent homes. They also assist many animal control officers in caring for abused, neglected, injured and aggressive dogs that are in need of emergency care.

The shelter pairs with various reputable animal adoption and welfare organizations to provide local volunteer opportunities for those looking to get involved.

“We have a couple of different fundraisers throughout the year to raise money for various local animal rescues and shelters along with educational events such as ‘PAWS in the Classroom,’” Goffinet said, “We have teamed up with Wildcat Service Dogs to teach elementary school children about dogs and how to be a responsible dog owner.”

There will be a minimum donation of $5 per dog to benefit Homeward Bound.

The School of Art and Visual Studies is located at 236 Bolivar St. Those attending should enter from the Bolivar Street parking lot entrance and follow the signs.

Free parking is provided in the lot outside the building.